Articles Posted in TItile II Firearms / Class 3 SOT

Generally when creating a NFA trust, one must look to the laws of their state and how they affect the right to own a class III firearm.

What happens if you live in New York or any state where some Class III firearms are banned but plan to use and keep them in another state where they are legal?  Can you a resident of a state where the item is banned purchase, store, and use the items in a state where its legal.

According to the ATF,  an individual can purchase an item restricted by the NFA that is not permitted in the state of residence of the trustee, when the trust will be located, and item will be only used and maintained in states where it is legal.

Some NFA firearms collectors, who are not engaged in any firearms business, have been known to acquire a GCA license to deal in firearms and pay the NFA special tax to acquire NFA firearms for their personal firearms collections. This is not a wise thing to do and violates the National Firearms Act.

Most individual acquire NFA firearms for the following reasons:

(1) to acquire firearms from non-licensee residing out-of-state;
(2) to circumvent requirements imposed on individuals to provide their fingerprints and photographs in order to receive NFA firearms and law enforcement certifications authorizing their receipt of such firearms;
(3) to purchase and use items that they are not legally able to obtain as an individual; and
(4) to avoid NFA transfer tax on firearms they receive from FFL’s/SOT’s.

Warning: These transactions violate the NFA and can only lead to trouble for the individual. In these instances, the individual has committed Federal felonies by falsely stating on a license application and special tax return that the collector intends to conduct a firearms business. Any NFA firearms received tax free by the collector are subject to transfer tax and the collector’s receipt of the firearms tax free violated the NFA. As held in ATF Ruling 76-22, these transfers are unlawful and the firearms received are subject to seizure and forfeiture.

If you hold NFA restricted firearms that are of a personal use in nature, under a business license, you should consider creating a NFA Firearms Trust to hold the title to these items to avoid being in violation of the National Firearms Act.

Constructive possession is a legal fiction to describe a situation where an individual has actual control over property without actually having physical control of the same assets. At law, a person with constructive possession stands in the same legal position as a person with actual possession.

When an individual purchases a class 3 firearm, they are the only one who is able to be in possession of the item. They have a duty to safeguard the use and possession of the restricted firearm from all others.

This includes their friends, spouse, children, or anyone else.  Generally the individual accomplishes this by placing the restricted class 3 firearms in a gun safe.

Oregon NFA Class 3 firearms

There are several type of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act.

Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase,

and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act.

We have associations with lawyers and attorneys in Pennsylvania.  These Pennsylvania Gun Trust Lawyer®s can provide NFA gun Trusts for the entire state of Pennsylvania.  A NFA Gun Trust can help protect individuals and their families from the criminal and civil penalties associated with the improper transfer or possession of a class 3 firearm regulated under the National Firearms Act.  In addition, the process of purchasing a silencer, SBR, or machine gun can be significantly reduced in the amount of time required and paperwork that is required.

They have offices in

  • Allentown Pennsylvania;
  • Bechtelsville Pennsylvania;
  • Camp Hill Pennsylvania;
  • Exton Pennsylvania;
  • Pottstown Pennsylvania;
  • Lancaster Pennsylvania;
  • Lebanon Pennsylvania;
  • North Wales Pennsylvania;
  • Pottstown Pennsylvania; and
  • Reading Pennsylvania

If you are located in another area of Pennsylvania they can also provide services by email and telephone in much the same way as if you were in their office.

To contact a Pennsylvania Gun Trust Lawyer® fill our our Contact form.

If you live in a city in where the Chief law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) will not or easily sign a Form 4, there are several solutions.

Baretta 22 SuppressedClass 3 Weapons include suppressors, , short barrel rifles, machine guns, and other destructive devices.

The most common solution is to create a NFA revocable trust to hold title to the firearm or class 3 items.

What happens when Grandpa needs to go to a nursing home but he owns a Class 3 Firearm?
A Machine gun is a valuable asset and as such can create a problem with eligibility for nursing home care.  Many veterans were allowed to keep captured machine guns and they want to pass them down to their children or grandchildren.  If that grandparent needs nursing home coverage and they are not married, many states will limit their non-exempt assets to $2000.

Today as machine guns continue to increase in value this can cause a problem for qualifying for Medicaid coverage. 

One solution is to sell the machine gun and put the cash into an exempt asset or use it before applying for coverage.  When the machine gun is wanted to be kept in the family, it is possible to trade it for an exempt asset like a vehicle.

Violators may be fined up to $250,000, and imprisoned up to 10 years, or both.

In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself.

An individual, business, or NFA Firearms trust may not register an unregistered NFA firearm.  Only a manufacture, maker, and importer can register a firearm.

Possession of an unregistered NFA firearms is a crime.  The ATF states that if you are in possession of a contraband firearm, you should contact the nearest ATF office to arrange for its disposition.

WARNING – although this is the advise of the AFT, they also state that mere possession is unlawful

Basically, there are 2 ways that an individual (who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from receiving or possessing firearms) may legally acquire NFA firearms:

    1. By transfer after approval by ATF of a registered weapon from its lawful owner residing in the same State as the transferee.

    2. By obtaining prior approval from ATF to make NFA firearms.

    Contact Information