ATF receives numerous telephone and electronic inquiries on a daily basis. In an effort to provide individuals with the most up-to-date information, ATF has compiled a list of the top 10 most frequently asked questions and provided answers to those questions. Several of the questions deal with the manufacture, sale, use, and transfer of firearms subject to the NFA.
- Can a person prohibited by law from possessing a firearm acquire and use a black powder muzzle-loading firearm?
- May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
- May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a resident of the same State in which I reside?
- How do I register my firearm or remove my name from a firearms registration?
- Does ATF issue a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) that authorizes a person to carry a firearm throughout the United States?
- May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
- May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?
- I have been convicted of a felony. How do I reinstate my rights to possess a firearm?
- May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?
- I was the subject of a NICS check when I attempted to purchase a firearm from a FFL, and I received a delayed response or a denial. Please tell me why I did not receive a “proceed” response.
Please Download this document to review the answers to the Top 10 ATF questions Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers
NOTE: THE DOCUMENT BELOW ONLY DEALS WITH FEDERAL LAW AND YOU NEED TO LOOK AT YOUR STATE LAW TO SEE IF THERE ARE ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS- For example some states do not permit permit prohibited person to possess antique firearms even though it is permitted under Federal law