ATF Form 20 - 5320.20 Application to Transport NFA Firearms
Title 18 U.S.C. While the ATF use to accept a letter, ATF has recently stopped accepting letters and is requiring the form to be filled out and it needs to be submitted in duplicate. Two copies of the Form 20 should be addressed to:
BATFEOnce the ATF approves the transportation, they will return a Form 20 to the registered owner. The approval authorizes the registered owner to transport the designated firearm(s) only during the time period specified in item 3 on the form.
Attention: NFA Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405
THE AUTHORIZATION DOES NOT CARRY OR IMPORT RELIEF FROM ANY STATUTORY OR REGULATORY PROVISIONS RELATING TO FIREARMS OTHER THAN 27 CFR 478.28.
NOTE: Prior authorization should only be requested to a state where the items are legal to possess. A mistaken authorization to transport an item to a state does not mean it is legal to do so and while there may be an argument against federal prosecution, it should not be relied upon to protect you from a state prosecution.
If a contract or common carrier is used to transport the firearm(s) a copy of ATF Form 5320.20 shall be furnished to the carrier and shall be in the possession of the carrier for the duration of the transportation. This will meet the requirements of sections 922(e) and (f) of the Gun Control Act of 1968.
Here is a Downloadable Form 20 f532020-20 in PDF format. If you have questions about the form 20 you can contact the ATF or email a Gun Trust Lawyer.
1. The Full Name should be the name of your Trust.If you are looking for information on How to Complete an ATF Form 4 or Form 1 see the following pages:
2. Select YES if this is a temporary transportation across state lines and NO if the items will not be returned.
3. You can select a date range of up to 1 year. For example Jan 1, 2015 to Dec 31, 2015
5. Reason for Transfer: Change of Address or Local shooting event, hunting...
6. Should be the current location of the items
7. Should be the location you are traveling to.
8. This should be how the items will be transported.
12. Will be signed by the Trustee submitting the Application.
13. Is the date you are signing the request.
How to Complete an ATF Form 4
How to Complete an ATF Form 1